The earliest findings of the Old Uyghur manuscripts and block prints were
brought to Europe by the Russian expeditions. A number of the Old Uyghur fragments
were found by Dmitrii Klementz in the course of the Turfan expedition in 1889–1890.
These fragments, along with the manuscripts in other languages and scripts, were subsequently
acquired by the Russian offi cials Nikolai Petrovskii and Nikolai Krotkov and
the expeditions headed by Sergei Oldenburg (1909–1910; 1914–1915) and Sergei Malov
(1909–1911; 1913–1914). They formed the Serindia (formerly known as Central Asian)
Collection kept nowadays at the IOM, RAS. The major part of the Serindia Collection
consists of the Old Uyghur fragments. Obtained by the expeditions to Eastern Turkestan,
according to the customary tradition they were transferred to the Asiatic Museum. This
paper presents the results of our recent study of the provenance, aquisition and processing
history of the Old Uyghur manuscripts and block prints.